Consumer Complaints by members of Co-operative Society and RWA

Zemanta Related Posts Thumbnail

As per Consumer Protection Act, the member of a co-operative society or a RWA (residents welfare association) is a Consumer.

CONSUMER HAS RIGHT TO SERVICES: The consumer who has paid his demands to the society or a co-operative society has all the rights to services promised by the society.

CONSUMER HAS RIGHTS AGAINST DEFECTS: Members of co-operative societies have a rights to get the defects in their flats removed from the builders and ultimately the society.


CONSUMER IS A KING: In the opinion of the Trust the member of co-operative society is a king because every member is a Consumer. The Consumer has innumerable rights.

CONSUMER GUIDANCE: The disputes settlement trust through this web-site provides guidance to consumers and all the members are covered under it. So any time you may seek guidance and you will yourself experience the time within which the guidance is provided by us.

CONSUMER COMPLAINTS: Any one can complain to this Trust as a Consumer and the Trust is having a separate cell which looks into the problems and remedies for the benefit of consumers at top priority. The fact is that the consumers are hesitant to approach the Trust thinking that it will involve a lot of cost. In fact the consumer do not realize that not only the cost will be recovered but he/she will also be compensated for the mental agony and harassment.

CONSUMER COMPLAINANTS HAVE DUAL RIGHTS: Very few consumers cum members of the co-operative societies realize that the Consumer is having the right to approach the Registrar of co-operative societies and also the Consumer Forum / Court at the same time. The fact is that by approaching both will being better and quick results to the consumer complaints.

WHERE TO COMPLAIN: Initially you need to complain to us by leaving a Reply below as a query or request for assistance.

About the author


  • Sunil kankal says:

    I have strong complaint against Society for not fulfilling the Seepage of the flat. Please advice me on the consumer forum advocate to take ahead this matter. My area is in Thane, Maharashtra.

    View Comment
  • Dharmendra Raval says:

    Can Managing Committee Charge Additional Extra Money from Tenents ( Who is staying on leaf & Licence ) for using Pool & Club House. kindly reply or send email on

    View Comment
  • Shakti says:

    Commercial operations and frequent large gatherings are not allowed as per bye-laws of my society. But some residents, run these operations causing a lot of nuisance. RWA ignores such commercial operations. Security is under RWA control and they can stop this nuisance if they want. This has caused me a lot of mental agony and harassment. Can I sue my RWA for causing this harassment and not working as per the bye-laws? Also, I think the guidelines of Gurgaon, Haryana MCG state that the agency that has management of security has the obligation to enforce the bye-laws of the society.

    View Comment
  • Shakti says:

    Thanks for the response, RWA is definitely aware of the matter but is unwilling to take any actions. By not taking any actions, RWA is condoning the bye-laws. RWA has the power to shut down such operations. For this reason, I wanted to know if action can be taken against RWA. Can I ask for compensation from RWA for mental harassment caused to me for something that RWA could have easily handled?
    Thanks again!!

    View Comment
  • umesh says:

    Dear sir, in our DDA society few person 5 to 10 persons has formed illegal RWA without any elections, it has been 3 years they are not conducting lecetions, or holding any AGM and now harassing people, illegal collection of money and no accountability, kindly guide

    View Comment

    I am a resident of CHSL in Dombivili (West). I was paying my maintenance to the society reguarly earlier and now due to certain financial constrains I am finding it slightly difficult to pay the same. I also informed the same to the Secretary when he called me to clear the outstanding to which I did not say anything. Factually the conduct of the Society Members are not helpful. They are taking steps and decisions unilaterally. If the member is not able to attend or does not attend the Meetings, they charge Rs.500/- from the member/s who remained absent, which i presume is highly improper and against the society laws. Even during the Ganpati festival they have made it mandatory to collect Rs.500/- from each and every member without asking the concerned member/s if it is acceptable to them. When I objected and did not pay this amount, now they have started harassing that since I am not co-operating with the Society they shall not issue me NOC for either carrying out repairs and/or sale of my flat. When I asked what co-operation do you need from me, I was told that I did not pay Rs.500 (for Ganpati) and Rs.1000/- (for not attending two meetings)? It is ridiculous on the part of the Secretary to make such allegations/statements. As I am staying in Ground Floor, dirty water comes in the Toilet and Bathroom as I was facing this problem currently, I want to Secretary’s residence to submit my grievance to which I was give the aforesaid statements (non-co-operation from me). In addition I paid Maintenance Bill in the month of Sept.2015 to which till date I have not been issued the Receipt for the same, when i asked the Secretary about the same, I was casually told that he is not looking into the matter and thus contact the Treasurer. PLS ADVISE WHAT NECESSARY STEPS TO BE TAKEN AGAINST THE SOCIETY & ALSO ADVISE WHO IS RIGHT WHETHER THE MEMBER (MYSELF) OR THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS. THE CO-OPERATION FOR THE COMMITTEE MEMBERS MEANING SUCCUMBING TO THEIR DEMANDS MONETARYWISE AND NOTHING.

    View Comment
  • Vishu says:

    Hi I am the owner of a flat in Vaishali Ghaziabad. I have been facing issues related to seepage in flat because of the drain pipes are not working properly and my flat is in bad condition. Even after complaints to the society, they say it would be resolved but no action has been taken for it. I am already tensed about my flat. What kind of actions I can take against the society for not taking care of the complaints.

    Vishu Grover

    View Comment
  • Jai Agnani says:

    Need guidance- our society RWA has implemented fencing for the grassy patches so that no one has access to these areas where as they used to provide a 8 ft corridor which was used by walkers and general access. It is now reduced to 2ft and is a hindrance. Our society has high occupancy as also very large to create barricades. There may also be an issue of fire tender approach – RWA is neither responding nor calling an open house where things can be discussed / cleared off- let me know. We are in Gurgaon. Do we need to take a legal recourse?

    View Comment
  • Uday R.Bantval says:

    I purchased a flat in one Mira road society.They charged me 26000 as transfer fees.The maintanance of the society is Rs 400 per month and I paid them up to the month of May2016.Now they are asking Rs.5000 from me as non occupancy charges.As per rule I am ready to pay 10% of maintanance as non occupancy charges.But the committee is adamant that I pay Rs 5000.They are not giving me a NOC because of it.
    Please guide me as what to do.

    View Comment
  • Russell fernandes says:

    Dear Sir i am writing this mailto u so that i can get justice .. i Mr Russell Fernandes residing from past 3 years at Flat no 26 5th floor Om appt Undri Pune my number 9545556894

    i would like to bring to your notice about the harassment done to me & my family by the society chairman .for past one week our building lift is not repaired & two months back my mom had a heart surgery its not possible for to climb the step due to which we cannot take her for checkup my wife is a housewife handling one kid 1.5years its how difficult to handle the situation

    we are regularly paying maintenance 1000 which is for every flat total 30 flats & the society has expense only watchman payment thats 6500 & common light bill 12000 rest there is no development in the society 3 months back there was a day robbery in our building 2 flats where broken .but still cctv are not installed every time its said society does not have fund as these are all retired army people who are staying & they have there unity so we citizen can question them .Yesterday in the meeting it was informed to collect 7000 from each flat for repairing the lift .when society has fund they are not ready to utilize first 2 years 500 was the maintenance & previous chairman was a local citizen he used to manage all the problem in 500 & no election had happened for electing new chairman it was discussed between those 4 army people & selected the chairman who isMR Sanjeev kadam

    its a request from me pls visit our society any try to solve the issue even no audit is done

    looking for a positive reply

    Thanking you

    Russell Fernandes

    View Comment
  • R P Arora says:

    Can you give me a judgement that member can file consumer complaint against society

    View Comment
  • Hakeem Mohammed Hisham says:

    Respected. Sir I am a resident of Mira Road Kanungo Estate dignity Bldg flat no 2 there is leakage in drainage pipe from second floor and after complaining to the society secretary and treasure they replied saying that der is maintenance fees to be paid by first floor flat so to irritate her they don’t want to repair the leakage resulting all flush water comes from windows at ground floor where I am residing please help me out to get it repaired as soon as possible

    View Comment
  • Sanjay says:

    How can I Lodge a legal complaint against my residents welfare society where President is misbehaving and collecting excessive annual charges under the name of WSO, maintenance is not included in these charges. These charges were imposed without general body meeting/acceptance. as they are demanding money and issuing notice for non payment of WSO for 2017-18.

    So I requested to the President to provide me the supporting docs where it is written that the wso must be deposited in advance or on monthly basis and where the residents accepted the charges which society is demanding. On this demand Mr President bounced me to MD of project (builder). That you can get each doc from builder.

    There is no any development is happening in the society from Street lights to children’s parks. All are not in good condition.

    Plz guide as society is located in Punjab near Mohali

    View Comment
  • Jitendra Kumar Sharma says:

    I am waiting for your legal advice on my query of October 10, 2017 re Consumer Court’s jurisdiction in a matter of Refund of Rs.30 lakh from DCHFC which has unlawfully recovered from me by bracketing me as a Judgment debtor along with Veer Puru Coop Gr. Housing Society while I do not fall in the category of a defaulter nor judgment debtor, nor do I have any loan agreement signed with DCHFC. Hon. High Court has already declared DCHFC’s Individualization Scheme as ‘misconceived’
    As a vulnerable senior citizen of 82 years, I need legal advice and assistance.
    With regards,
    Jitendra Kumar Sharma

    View Comment
  • K. SUBRAMANIAN says:

    I am a residing member in a proposed Co-op.Housing Society in Ambernath Taluka, Thane Dist. The land in which our bldg. stands is purchased by the said society, by gathering members and collecting contributions among them. The land documents were signed by Chief Promoter, who lateron acquired the Power of Attorney from the members. The bldr. declared in “Agreement for Sale” of flats that they had developed the Attorney’s personal land on acquiring his Power. The Attorney not made such documents. But secretly handed over each and every documents acquired by the said society including the land documents 7/12 extracts, approvals and permissions, etc. including the money required for the construction, which the members entrusted him for their own purpose. Afterwards the bldr. disappeared from the premises without fulfilling their obligations, without registering a CHS and without conveying the property to a society, still the premises remained in the name of said society. After 2 decades, few people encroached into the premises and with the help of few members of the society (who arrived approx. at the same time) and started illegal construction in its ‘open space’. They prepared the bldg. without any facilities and everything shared with the existing building on their muzzle power. No outlet was made hence, the residents are compelled to suffer badly. First of all there are hardly 10 to 12 families are there in a total of 36 flats, due to various reasons, all created by the bldr. to keep their vested interest. As most of the flats were permanently under Lock & Key, the owner/members are not dared to visit the premises even once in a year. Most of the residing members are slowly forced to support the illegal lobby for their own safety. Now, these people are intending to develop neighboring plot, which the Attorney illegally sold to outside parties. Total area of the plot was 4 Gunthas wherein approx 1 to 1. 1/2 Guntha has gone to road widening. Now they have surveyed for full 4 Guntha including society premises. To silence me, one of their hooligans beat me severally by creating silly irrelevant matter of superfluous grounds, to hide their inhuman illegal activities. Please advise what I must do to prevent this kind of human atrocity, how to prevail under the circumstances etc.


    K. Subramanian

    View Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *